Friday, January 09, 2004

Whither the 'left-wing freak show'?

Let *me* take the poll!!! Am I part of the Left-Wing Freak Show?

Let's see..... a new ad from the kind, loving folks at clubforgrowth.org (I'll give you the web site, but I refuse to link to it!) have used their massive club to tweak out a huge part of America.

Here's some of the text...

"Howard Dean should take his tax-hiking, government-expanding, latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving, New York Times-reading …"
 
His wife jumps in: "Body-piercing, Hollywood-loving, left-wing freak show back to Vermont where it belongs."

Tax-Hiking? Well, if that means repealing Bush's stupid tax "rebate" then I qualify for this one.

Government Expanding? I don't think I can count this one, but maybe the end result of certain policies I support would expand some areas of the government, but certainly reduce others.

Latte Drinking? I'm pretty much a regular (it must be very good, but plain) coffee kind of guy. Given the choice over the last couple of weeks, I've chosen the house drip every time.

Sushi Eating? I'll cop to this one. I don't eat it much, but won't hesitate when it's presented. (No wasabi though!)

Volvo Driving? Ooohh. This one counts. Probably counts twice! We have two of them, and they're our third and fourth ones.

New York Times Reading? I admit that I read the NY Times when it's available. But I don't have a subscription. A half point maybe? (LA Times doesn't count? I get it at home and at work!)

Body Piercing? Not me. (I'm pretty sure the woman in the ad has earrings on. They looked pierced to me! Hypocrisy?)

Hollywood Loving? Yeah, you bet. I work in Hollywood, promote Hollywood movies. I guess if you live off the land, you'd better like it.

Left Wing? I'm certainly left of *these* folks!

By my count (only one for the Volvo though) I get a 5.5.

Does that qualify me as a "Freak Show?"

I wonder if my involvement with the Boy Scouts (certainly not a bastion of Left Wing Freak Shows!!) or the Presbyterian Church (I guess Left Wing depends on who you ask, there.) mitigates my freakiness. Once again, the Right tries to classify and pigeonhole people, without taking into account their complete person. A Christian, a Boy Scout Leader and a Democrat!?!? Impossible! Despicable! Ruinous! What are you teaching the children?!?!

Right Wing Radicals that don't know when to shut up (Rush, are your ears burning?) are moving this country to a point where everyone is polarized. "Yur either fur us, or agin us!" Calling people names and "sending them packin'" isn't the way to get a useful dialog started. Of course, these Right Wing Anti-1st Amendment types don't really care about starting a dialog, they just want to shout you down.

"Go home all you people who are different from us! Go away before I start throwing persimmons at you!" Grumpy Right Wingers are no better than the guy who yells at all the neighborhood kids from his front porch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home