Friday, November 12, 2004

South Korean activist ends risky diet of junk food:

"'Just five days into my experiment, my liver went wrong, and I began suffering from headaches and fatigue as time passed by,' Yoon said.

'I hope my experiment will scare people, especially children, off fast food or warn them of its dangers,' Yoon said, pointing to the rapid growth of fast food outlets in South Korea.

He urged television stations to restrict fast food advertising, which has a massive influence on children.

He said South Korea's economic development plus the booming fast food industry was prompting a change in dietary habits.

His group said about 15,000 South Koreans eat fast food three times a day and 300,000 people once a day."

Amazing... the other day at Burger King (yes, I know, why was I there? It's an "after church" meeting place. I had a Quiznos sandwich and only bought a Diet Coke from BK. Did you know they are still selling their Veggie Burger? Take off the the mayo and it's 300 Calories and 7 grams of fat compared to a Whopper with Cheese's 800 calories and 49 grams of fat.), I saw a kid who looked nearly identical to the child in the photo down below on this blog. He was with his father, who was enormous as well - easily 450 pounds. Another 50 pounds and this guy isn't going to be able to walk. I really wished I had my camera. It would have made a perfect bookend to the other photo.

Anyway - back to the story above. Is it any surprise that this Korean activist is going to make a movie of his self imposed "ordeal?" And how is it that 15,000 South Koreans can survive while eating fast food three times a day? I keep looking at these sorts of things and wonder, "Why was it that I'm the one with the heart attack?" How do these people stay alive?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home