Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Sound Familiar?

"The spirit of cooperation I have seen in this hall is what is needed in Washington, D.C. It is the challenge of our moment. After a difficult election, we must put politics behind us and work together to make the promise of America available for every one of our citizens.

I am optimistic that we can change the tone in Washington, D.C.

I believe things happen for a reason, and I hope the long wait .... will heighten a desire to move beyond the bitterness and partisanship of the recent past.

Our nation must rise above a house divided. Americans share hopes and goals and values far more important than any political disagreements.

Republicans want the best for our nation, and so do Democrats. Our votes may differ, but not our hopes.

I know America wants reconciliation and unity. I know Americans want progress. And we must seize this moment and deliver.

Together, guided by a spirit of common sense, common courtesy and common goals, we can unite and inspire the American citizens."

George W. Bush - December 2000.

Today, G.W.B. said:

"With that trust comes a duty to serve all Americans, and I will do my best to fulfil that duty every day as your president.

Reaching these goals will require the broad support of Americans, so today I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent.

To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust.

A new term is a new opportunity to reach out to the whole nation. We have one country, one constitution, and one future that binds us.

And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."


It wasn't true when he said it in 2000, and it isn't true today. Why was this election so bitter? Why was is the country so divided? Why are there so many hurt feelings? Because G.W.B. doesn't really want to be "A Uniter, not a Divider." He, and his posse, relish the fight. They mobilize their base, they don't reach out to others. He has no intention of serving all Americans. California is in for four more years of punishment for not voting for Bush. (Remember all the help we got during the Bush/Enron caused electricity "shortage?")

It seems that millions of people voted for four more years of this administration based on their belief that Bush represents their "moral values." I absolutely do not understand that. Is America really that corrupt? Am I to believe that all these people readily lie every day? We know Bush does. He lied about his reasons for invading Iraq to serve his own purposes.

The only thing left to hope for is that Bush and Cheney's nefarious previous activities catch up to them. That the truth about Halliburton and Enron is finally shown in the light of public scrutiny. That the full weight of American Justice falls on their heads and they are shown to be hypocrites.

I know I sound bitter. I am. Did you know that Switzerland has some very pretty bike trails? I wonder what the housing prices are like?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home